Uganda Rural Community Support Foundation (URCSF) was founded in 2005 to focus on community interventions; one of the fundamental principles is to create autonomy and self-confidence among the communities and groups with whom we work.
Our project work is based in the Rakai and Masaka districts.
URCSF focus on alleviating suffering and poverty by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. We believe in the intrinsic value and dignity of human life, as well as the strength of human resilience, and the ability of people to thrive.
We are involved in the provision of basic health care, especially community-based initiatives (increasing access to safe clean water, hygiene education and improved sanitation facilities, prevention of HIV/AIDS, food security and nutrition enhancement).
1st month US $300
2nd month + US $280
3rd month + US $280
4-6 months + US $250 / month
After 6 months US $200
Our volunteers are placed with host families which gives them an opportunity to experience the culture of the local people.
Your food and accommodation fee covers:
- Meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and evening tea): Only meals taken at the host family and at off-site project BUT not for personal outings. Also, if working on a project off site and choose to eat at an expensive restaurant, you will be responsible for your meal expenses.
- Lodging: bed, mattress, blanket are provided. Please bring bed sheets. Also bring a towel and mosquito net and other personal toiletries.
- Fees also help with: bottled water, solar lantern, the cook/house maid, water transportation, phone calls by coordinator, and various basic utentials/supplies in the house to service your stay.
We can accommodate 4 volunteers at any one time from December 2009 onwards.
Who do we need?
We need volunteers who are committed and have a strong desire and passion to help others.
- Teaching kids in the after-school program ranging from kindergarten, elementary/primary school, secondary school.
- Helping students with homework i.e. tutoring
- Work with students on extracurricular activities
- Administration work in our offices
- Training of farmers
- Preparing progress reports for children who have sponsors
- Preparing monthly volunteer newsletters
- Fundraising activities
- Gardening and feeding livestock
- Presenting workshops on community development, human rights, AIDS awareness and education, etc.
- Help with seminars on entrepreneurship and leadership training for students and local residents.
- Organizing and running youth camps.
- Family outreach in the neighboring villages.
- Counseling and career guidance
- Construction work at the farm.
Project Development Fund
We request that volunteers fundraise before coming and make a contribution towards URCSF development fund. There is no specific amount demanded from a volunteer but will depend on each individual’s capacity to raise funds to support our admin expenses and also contribute to various projects during your stay. Some volunteers have the capacity to fundraise and bring more money and it is encouraged.
Please arrange with Country Program Director for this money to be remitted to URCSF bank account before traveling to Uganda or bring it with you.
Peter Francis Luswata is the Country Director. Peter was born and raised in the area where our projects are implemented. He has a passion for helping children because he sees the potential in building his community through educating the younger generation. Peter studied both in Uganda, Eritrea, and the U.S.A. He is an experienced communicator and leader in working with international volunteers.